DO COLLAGEN SUPPLEMENTS FOR SKIN REALLY WORK? Q&A WITH DERMATOLOGIST DR DRAY (NOT SPONSORED).
1. Zague V. A new view concerning the effects of collagen hydrolysate intake on skin properties. Arch Dermatol Res. 2008;300(9):479-483.
2. Grand Review Research. Collagen Market Size Worth $6.63 Billion By 2025 | Growth Rate: 6.6%. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/press-release/ global-collagen-market. Published 2017.
3. Grand View Research. Collagen Market By Source (Bovine, Porcine, Poultry, Marine), Product (Gelatin, Hydrolyzed Collagen), Application (Food & Beverages, Healthcare, Cosmetics), By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2018 – 2025. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/colla- gen-market. Published 2017.
4. Choi SY, Kim WG, Ko EJ, et al. Effect of high advanced-collagen tripeptide on wound healing and skin recovery after fractional photothermolysis treat- ment. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2014;39(8):874-880.
5. Shoulders MD, Raines RT. Collagen structure and stability. Annu Rev Bio- chem. 2009;78:929-958.
6. Calleja-Agius J, Muscat-Baron Y, Brincat MP. Skin ageing. Menopause Int. 2007;13(2):60-64.doi:10.1258/175404507780796325 7. Kadler KE, Baldock C, Bella J, Boot-Handford RP. Collagens at a glance. J Cell Sci. 2007;120(Pt 12):1955-1958.
8. Ramshaw JA, Shah NK, Brodsky B. Gly-X-Y Tripeptide frequencies in colla- gen: a context for host-guest triple-helical peptides. J Struct Biol. 1998;122(1- 2):86-91.
9.LiuC,SugitaK,NiheiK,YoneyamaK,TanakaH.Absorptionofhydroxyproline- containing peptides in vascularly perfused rat small intestine in situ. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73(8):1741-1747.
10. Asserin J, Lati E, Shioya T, Prawitt J. The effect of oral collagen peptide sup- plementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2015;14(4):291-301.
11. Inoue N, Sugihara F, Wang X. Ingestion of bioactive collagen hydrolysates enhance facial skin moisture and elasticity and reduce facial ageing signs in a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled clinical study. J Sci Food Agric. 2016;96(12):4077-4081.
12. Nemati M, Oveisi M, Abdollahi H, Sabzevari O. Differentiation of bovine and porcine gelatins using principal component analysis. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2004;34(3):485-492.
13. Djagny KB, Wang Z, Xu S. Gelatin: A valuable protein for food and phar- maceutical industries: review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2001;41(6):481-492.
14. Sato K. The presence of food-derived collagen peptides in human body-struc- ture and biological activity. Food Funct. 2017;8(12):4325-4330.
15. Iwai K, Hasegawa T, Taguchi Y, et al. Identification of food-derived collagen peptides in human blood after oral ingestion of gelatin hydrolysates. J Agric Food Chem. 2005;53(16):6531-6536.
16. Ichikawa S, Morifuji M, Ohara H, Matsumoto H, Takeuchi Y, Sato K. Hydroxy- proline-containing dipeptides and tripeptides quantified at high concentra- tion in human blood after oral administration of gelatin hydrolysate. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2010;61(1):52-60.
17. Shigemura Y, Kubomura D, Sato Y, Sato K. Dose-dependent changes in the levels of free and peptide forms of hydroxyproline in human plasma after collagen hydrolysate ingestion. Food Chem. 2014;159:328-332.
18. Kawaguchi T, Nanbu PN, Kurokawa M. Distribution of prolylhydroxyproline and its metabolites after oral administration in rats. Biol Pharm Bull. 2012;35(3):422-427. 19. Watanabe-Kamiyama M, Shimizu M, Kamiyama S, et al. Absorption and effectiveness of orally administered low molecular weight collagen hydroly- sate in rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58(2):835-841.
20. Liang J, Pei X, Zhang Z, Wang N, Wang J, Li Y. The protective effects of long- term oral administration of marine collagen hydrolysate from chum salmon on collagen matrix homeostasis in the chronological aged skin of Sprague- Dawley male rats. J Food Sci. 2010;75(8):H230-H238.
21. Zague V, de Freitas V, Rosa M, de Castro GA?, Jaeger RG, Machado-Santelli GM. Collagen hydrolysate intake Increases skin collagen expression and suppresses matrix metalloproteinase 2 activity. J Med Food. 2011;14(6):618- 624.
22. MatsudaN, KoyamaY, HosakaY, et al. Effects of ingestion of collagen peptide on collagen fibrils and glycosaminoglycans in the dermis. J Nutr Sci Vita- minol (Tokyo). 2006;52(3):211-215.
Disclaimer: This video is not intended to provide diagnosis, treatment or medical advice. Content provided on this Youtube channel is for informational purposes only. Please consult with a physician or other healthcare professional regarding any medical or health related diagnosis or treatment options. Information on this Youtube channel should not be considered as a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional. The statements made about specific products throughout this video are not to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.